Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kitchen Tip - Minced-Ahead Garlic

I hate pulling out my garlic press and peeling the sticky little cloves every time I want fresh minced garlic in my cooking.
Most of all, I hate cleaning my garlic press.

So, I quit.

Now I just do 3 pounds of it at once to get it over with.


Step 1: Peel a mountain of garlic while you sit with your sick kiddo who wants you snuggle on the couch with her and watch "Swan Princess" for the 4,257th time.

Step 2: Dump all your peeled garlic into a food processor or any other handy chopping device and pulse several times until it's to your desired minced-ness.

Step 3: Use a tablespoon measure to plop it all out on to something that's easy to pop it off of later when it's frozen. (I use my plastic cutting mats.)


Step 4: Freeze them.

Step 5: Pop 'em all off the tray and into a freezable container or bag!


Ta-da!

This whole process is one of my mama-in-law's clever ideas! 
I love it! I have fresh minced garlic always on hand in my freezer in tidy little tablespoonfuls! 

I have now practically eliminated one of my least favorite kitchen jobs: washing the garlic press! 
Don't ask me why I hate it so much. I just do, 'k?

Instead of the dreaded task being almost a daily occurrence, (okay, so we eat a lot of garlic,) I can simply open my freezer, pull out the bag and grab one or two handy-dandy little tablespoon-sized garlic blops!


Or, I might grab one (or more!) of these... 110 delightful little pieces of heaven sitting in my freezer.


This post is linked to the Raising Homemakers Homemaking Linkup...




...and at Linda's Lunacy!

Linda's Lunacy

Update: See also how I prepare and freeze onions!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At February 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM , Blogger LaVonne said...

I am already following you :) I came across your introduction in the Blogelina BlogFrog community discussion and realized I recognized that blog name ;)

I look forward to networking with you further.

Blessings!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM , Blogger heidi said...

Following you.. from Blogelina's BlogFrog community :)

 
At February 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Katie Hurley, LCSW said...

That is an excellent idea! I also hate cleaning the garlic press! I am so glad I stopped by today...I need you in my life! Thanks for following Practical Parenting!

Katie
www.practicalkatie.com

 
At February 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

I would like at least 500 of those tiny pieces of heaven please.

Following you from Tanya's class :)


$100 APART Style Giveaway:
http://tinyurl.com/4sqbwle

 
At February 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

What a brilliant idea!! I am your newest follower, and I've liked you on Facebook too!


I am hoping to have a giveaway soon from Thirsties Cloth Diapers. They agreed to sponsor me, they just want me to have a minimum of 200 followers (via GFC). Will you come follow me?

 
At February 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Karla said...

Great idea!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I love this tip! I will definitely be doing this. Thanks for the idea.

I'd love it if you stopped by tomorrow and linked this post up to my Making a Home linky. :)

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy
http://www.lindaslunacy.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Kitchen Tip - Minced-Ahead Garlic

This Page

has been moved to new address

Kitchen Tip - Minced-Ahead Garlic

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service