Friday, May 13, 2011

Fun with Food Friday - Chocolate Lava Cake

 Mama Chocolate

Welcome to Week 9 of Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom for another recipe review this week!

Today we have "Lava Cake to Die For" from reader "Songstarter!"

Lava Cake to Die For

  • 8oz Ghirardelli Dark Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon organic vanilla
  • dash of salt

1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Start melting the chocolate chips. You can do this in the microwave, but it's easy to burn chocolate that way, so usually a double boiler is suggested. I don't think I've ever even seen a double boiler, let alone owned one, so I just put some water to boil in a pot with a glass bowl set on top. It's always worked great for me! 



2.) Cream butter and sugar together and then add eggs one at a time.


3.) Add chocolate, then flour, salt and vanilla


4.) Wipe butter on the insides of ramekins, (aren't mine cute? I'm always looking for an excuse to use these!) and then dust with sugar.
I'm going to be honest with you. I accidentally left out this step. If you plan on popping out the cakes to serve, it is probably essential. We just ate them straight out of the ramekins, so we were fine.


5.)  Pour in the batter and bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on how big your ramekins are, and how gooey you want the inside.
My ramekins are a little on the large side, so I did 11 minutes, and they turned out great!


6.) Let them cool for 8-10 minutes and they're ready to serve!


I dolloped them with Cool Whip, which is probably an abomination to dessert connoisseurs, but awfully delicious!

These were heavenly. Very simple and easy to make, yet you could make these part of an elegant dinner!
Songstarter even suggests splashing a little dark rum over the top, and setting it alight so the entire desert is flambéed while being served!


**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.


Don't forget to check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom to see what Michelle cooked up this week!


If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!
Spread the word about our event and grab the button!

Mama Chocolate





Welcome, hoppers! :-)



Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Amber said...

Chocolate lava cakes are one of those desserts I sometimes fantasize about from my gluten days. I have yet to find a satisfactory gluten-free version...

 
At May 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Heather S said...

Thanks a lot! I'm already pregnant and eating everything in sight. I don't need this too!!

Stopping by from the Alexa Hop :)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Looks delightful. I would be happy with the Cool Whip, too!

Stopping by from the Alexa hop...would love if you could stop by:
http://www.keenlykristin.com/2011/05/american-idol-epic-fail.html

Thanks!
Kristin :)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Susie B. Homemaker said...

This looks delicious- I'd definitely add the cool whip too. ;) And I so love those heart shaped ramekins... adorable dessert!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Jessie said...

I LOVE chocolate lava cake - I am definitely going to have to make this!! YUM! Thanks for sharing.

Stopping by from the Alexa hop - hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Not a Perfect Mom said...

hey babe, nothing wrong with Cool Whip! I love it, and I use it in my chocolate trifle...
and that? looks delish!

stopping by from the hop...

 
At May 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

what a fun recipe! I will have to try that!

Stopping back by to return the favor from the Alexa hop. Following you on GFC :)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Blogger fancygrlnancy said...

that looks so yummy!

Stopping by from the hop
http://arizonamama-fancygrlnancy.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordless-wednesday-or-not-walk-with-me.html

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Mom vs. the boys said...

chocolate lava cake??? mmmm you had me at hello! lol I love those cute heart shaped cups you used!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger The Tiny Team said...

YUMMY! I feel inspired to bake, and since my husband's favorite flavor is chocolate....he might be pretty happy about that!!

xo,
Amy

p.s. Your girls are adorable!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Beginning over girl said...

Those look DELICIOUS!!!

Following you from the lower your Alexa blog hop!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Love lava cakes. Following from Alexa.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Chase said...

Looks delicious!

Visiting from the alexa blog hop!
Chase’s View

 
At May 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Spanish Pinay said...

I'll be sure to drop by again this coming Friday and join! :)

http://spanishpinaynanay.blogspot.com

 
At May 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Things Sent My Way said...

Oh they look so good! thanks for sharing!

I'm following from the Lower My Alexa Blog Hop. Come visit me back!

Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

 
At May 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Jamie's Precious Peas said...

Oh my! I'm so hungry now! Following you from the Alexa hop...please follow back at www.jamiespreciouspeas.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Fun with Food Friday - Chocolate Lava Cake

This Page

has been moved to new address

Fun with Food Friday - Chocolate Lava Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service