Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal

Oatmeal is one of my favorite options for breakfast, and I discovered recently an easy (and delicious) way to eat it regularly!

Use your crockpot!


The night before you plan to eat your oatmeal, in a glass measuring cup, (or any heat-safe bowl.) combine:

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup rolled or steel-cut oats
1 Tb butter
dash of salt, (optional)

spices, sweeteners, and fruits if desired:
cinnamon
brown sugar
chopped apples
raisins
etc.

Fill your crockpot half-full with water and turn it onto "Keep Warm" or "Low," (depending on the crockpot...experiment.)

Voila! Delicious, hot, perfectly cooked oatmeal waiting for you when you wake up in the morning!
This is doing wonders for my recent commitment to make sure John has a home-cooked breakfast every morning, (no matter how early he leaves for work!)
He loves oatmeal, (especially the Tropical Traditions Organic Thick Rolled Oats...he commented on how good they were before he knew I was supposed to be reviewing them!)
I love knowing that he has a healthy breakfast when I know I will not be remotely conscious when he leaves for work.

I am also looking forward to using this regularly when I am pregnant (Lord willing!) again someday! You know how hard it is when you first wake up in the morning to even want to think about food, let alone try to cook something?
This handy hint solves that problem for ya! (Assuming, of course, that oatmeal sounds remotely palatable in your pregnant state. You can do this with any hot cereal: cream of wheat, 10-Grain (Katie's favorite,) steel-cut oats, you-name-it.)

Another handy feature of this method is the ability to cook more than one kind of cereal at a time.
Katie does not care for oatmeal, but she loves 10-Grain, so along side our oatmeal, I sneak in a little half-pint of 10-Grain cereal mixture, (using the same proportions, and with almond milk to keep it dairy-free.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 26, 2011 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Miss Sarah said...

Great idea! I think I'll have to try this sometime (when it gets a little cooler so that we WANT a hot breakfast :)). Thanks for sharing! :)

 
At July 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We'll be trying this one, for sure! I hate instant oatmeal, but cannot seem to pry my eyes open enough to make the real stuff in time to feed it to hungry tummies. Is this recipe enough for just one person? Also, we like out oatmeal thick, will I need to change some of the measurement to make sure it's to our tastes?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal

This Page

has been moved to new address

Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service