Friday, June 3, 2011

Cornmeal Rolls - Fun with Food Friday

 Mama Chocolate

Welcome to this week's Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom for another recipe review this week!
(My apologies if you missed my post last week! I took a break so I could keep up with the Bye-Bye Diapers Event!)

Please check my archives for more delicious recipes!

Today, I'm happy to share with you Rhoda Kindred's super-easy Cornmeal Rolls!


Cornmeal Rolls
makes approx 18 rolls

  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 pkg. dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 4 cups flour or more as needed, (I used half whole wheat flour)
  • melted butter for brushing
  • extra cornmeal for sprinkling on rolls
1.) Cook cornmeal, sugar, salt, butter, and milk in a saucepan until think, (like cooked cereal.)


Be patient...it will take a few minutes of bubbling to get thick!


2.) While the cornmeal mixture cools, dissolve the dry yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water. Hopefully you have one of these adorable people to help you stir it.


3.) When the cornmeal mixture is cooled to lukewarm and the yeast is completely dissolved, mix it together with the eggs and beat thoroughly.


4.) Add the flour to form soft dough. I found it took at least 5 cups of flour to get a satisfactory result.
Knead well. I just let my Bosch mixer do the work! 


5.) Roll out to 1" thickness.


6.) Cut with a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter, or if you don't have one, (like me!) use an overturned glass! Place them on an un-greased cookie sheet.


7.) Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cornmeal.

(Seriously, do I have the most helpful 2-year-old ever?)

8.) Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.


These were eagerly devoured by my family!
I thought these were a fun change from plain ol' rolls, and I will definitely be making them again! 

**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.


Don't forget to check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom to see what Michelle cooked up this week!


If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!
Spread the word about our event and grab the button!

Mama Chocolate




Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Shauna said...

wow... never thought of using cornmeal... thanks, coming from the Alexa Hop... http://adventuresofmyfamilyof8.blogspot.com/2011/06/kids-say.html

 
At June 5, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Coffee Matters said...

Those look wonderful!

arrived from the alexa hop

http://caffeinatedarmywife.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Cornmeal Rolls - Fun with Food Friday

This Page

has been moved to new address

Cornmeal Rolls - Fun with Food Friday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service