Friday, April 15, 2011

Fun with Food Friday - Oreo Mint Ice Cream Cake

Mama Chocolate

Welcome to Week 6 of Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom for another recipe review this week!

I think it's about time for a dessert recipe!
Today's delectableness (is that a word?) comes from my lovely Mama-in-Law! 

This is the ice cream cake that she has made for my husband for his birthday every year since...forever.
Now I want it for my birthdays, and John (in the spirit of blessing his child, of course, *ahem*) suggested I make it for our sweet Katie's 2nd birthday last month.

It was an instant favorite with her, too...she has been continually asking for "bird-day cake?" whenever any possibility of dessert might be approaching!

Oreo Mint Ice Cream Cake

24 Oreos
1/3 c. melted butter
1/2 gallon carton of mint chocolate chip ice cream (Breyers is best!)
plenty of chocolate fudge topping
8 oz carton Cool Whip

(photos show me using double these amounts in a larger pan)


1.) Crumble Oreo cookies, (I use my food processor) and spread them into a 9x13 pan.



2.) Pour the melted better across the cookie crumbs and press it all down a little with a spatula

3.) Slice the ice cream into 3/4" thick slabs and lay it down on the crumb-crust.
My ice cream was pretty soft by the time John brought it home, (we live in the sticks, remember?) and I needed to make it that night, so slicing was no longer an option.
I just scooped it out and plopped it on and then let it soften a little more to spread out more evenly.



4.) Spoon clumps of chocolate fudge topping over the ice cream.

5.) Top with Cool Whip and FREEZE!
(my cool whip was a little too frozen, so I had to let it sit and thaw a little after this photo in order to be able to spread it out evenly.)

After it's frozen (or before, I guess,) you can drizzle on some more chocolate topping.


And if you have any chocolate left, and feel like adding a few more calories, you can drown your own personal slice with more.

To get optimum results and satisfaction, serve it to a little girl who loves "bird-days and I-KEEM!"

 

**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and tell me which current giveaway(s) you'd like your extra entries to go into. I'll add the entries!


Don't forget to check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom to see what Michelle cooked up this week!


If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!
Spread the word about our event and grab the button!



Mama Chocolate


Labels:

3 Comments:

At April 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Michelle F. said...

That looks AMAZING!! Going to have to try that very soon!!

 
At April 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Jessica Heights said...

That sounds DELICIOUS!!!!

 
At April 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Blogger nutschell said...

wow! i have to try this recipe this coming summer.:)nice meeting you through the a-z!
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Fun with Food Friday - Oreo Mint Ice Cream Cake

This Page

has been moved to new address

Fun with Food Friday - Oreo Mint Ice Cream Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service