Friday, April 29, 2011

Fun with Food Friday - Dutch Pancake

 Mama Chocolate

Welcome to Week 7 of Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom for another recipe review this week!

Today I'm sharing another old favorite of mine, (also a favorite of friend and reader Amanda.)
I have some great recipes waiting in the wings from you guys, including Mexican Black Bean Burgers and Creamy Turnip soup, and when I do my big monthly shopping trip next week, I'll be picking up the ingredients I need for those!


This is a quick and easy breakfast that's more nutritious than a bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs for hurried mornings!
We have started using this almost every Sunday morning. John usually cooks our breakfast on Sunday so that I can focus on getting the meal for our church's weekly potluck made and then getting me and the girls ready to go. It's quick and easy to throw together, and Katie likes it, so it doesn't require the time-consuming battle to get her to eat it while we're rushing around. 
Getting her to sit still and behave well in church goes much better if she's eaten a good breakfast, so this has been a life-saver!

Dutch Pancake
(I've also heard this called a Dutch Baby, Swedish Pancake, and German Pancake. Who knows what it really started as?!)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour (I usually use 1/2 whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 Tb. butter
Note: You can easily do two or more of these at a time in your oven, (as many as will fit!) and it makes a great breakfast for over-night company!


1.) Place the 2 Tb of butter into a 9 x 13 pan, turn the oven on to 425 degrees, and put the pan into the oven to heat and melt butter.


2.) While the oven is preheating and the butter melting, in a mixing bowl or blender, combine remaining ingredients. It should be smooth, but don't over-mix.


3.) When the oven is preheated and the butter completely melted, pour the batter straight into the hot pan.


4.) Bake for 20 minutes, or until it puffs and is getting golden brown:


The pancake will start to deflate after you take it out of the oven, so get it to the table as soon as possible for more impressive presentation. ;-)


5.) Add your favorite toppings: butter, cinnamon & sugar, powdered sugar, honey, syrup, jam, whipping cream, berries, you-name-it!

Katie's favorite topping is honey!

**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.


Don't forget to check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom to see what Michelle cooked up this week!


If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!
Spread the word about our event and grab the button!

Mama Chocolate







Welcome, hoppers! ;-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Homemaker blog hop

Labels:

37 Comments:

At April 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Amanda Evans said...

Be sure to keep your oven light on and occasionally call your little people over to oo and awe over its amazing growth as it cooks! (Also motivation to keep your oven window clean. Along with the sweet toppings always serve it with lots of applause. The kids are always impressed with these!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Meg said...

I make this and serve it with stewed apples over top. I just slice apples and put them in the microwave with a little butter, cinnimon and brown sugar. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes. I try to make the apples the night before and refrigerate, so they just need heated up in the morning. So yummy!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM , Blogger shamrocksgal said...

This kind of reminds me of what they make here in Holland, MI for Tulip Time. Great pix- I'm just trying to figure out how to print it! :D

 
At April 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mmm, that looks yummy! I just saw a similar recipe somewhere else today.

I'm stopping by from the Alexa Hop. I'm a new follower.

PS Mom Reviews

 
At April 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow I have never seen that before! Looks yummy!

I'm a new follower from the Alexa Hop! If you get a chance, I'd love a follow back. www.adeliciousobsession.com

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Six in the Nest said...

Interesting. I have never heard of that type of pancake before. On another note... I LOVE Tropical Traditions honey...omgosh it is to die for! Yum!


Jenilee from Six in the Nest visiting from the Alexa Hop. :)

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Chase said...

THis looks good! Have to try it out! :) Following from the alexa hop! :)
chasesview.blogspot.com

 
At April 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Tabitha said...

We have this every couple months, we LOVE it!!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your pancake scares me. It looks like it's trying to run away!

It also looks delicious! I'll have to try this. Miss *a* loves pancakes and I'd love to be able to make some that don't require me standing over the oven while shouting to the back of the house "I SAID GET YOUR SHOES ON!" fifty times.

I have a newish (starting it's second month) monthly recipe linky/contest that's opening Sunday, and know how hard it is to get submissions. IF you'd like, e-mail me, and we'll see if we can cross promote or something?

~K
k@bigklittlea.com

 
At April 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

omg that looks so cool!
does it taste good?

 
At April 30, 2011 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is surprisingly easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Mariah @ FormulaMom.com said...

Okay, this looks delicious and does nothing for me and my need to work on losing this baby weight! I so want to make this now!

Stopping by with my Alexa toolbar! Thanks for visiting FormulaMom!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Rosanne E. Lortz said...

I tried this recipe, and it was delicious! Thanks for posting!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious! I'm gonna try it on my kiddos!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Heather S said...

Bookmarking this! THIS IS AWESOME!! I might even make it for lunch today. After all, pancakes are good any time of day right?
Thanks!

Stopping by from the Alexa Hop!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Debbie Does Coupons .com said...

Thanks for stopping by and following. I am following you back

 
At April 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

Those look delicious! I love that they seem so easy, especially for someone like me who runs from any recipe with more than three or so steps!

I'm visiting from the Alexa Hop!

Nikki
http://www.prettyopinionated.com

 
At April 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does... said...

We are SO doing this tomorrow morning! I was looking for a quick recipe for pancakes the other day, and what better than one I DON'T have to flip every couple minutes? haha! I just shared this with my mom...
I'd love for you to check out my post about...
School Lunch- Worth it or Not?

 
At April 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger lovinangels said...

This is very much like yorkshire pudding, which I love ever so much. I'm going to try it tomorrow with some fruit.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

Looks yummy. I'll give it a try.


Sandy- Cherished Handmade Treasures

 
At April 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Aimee said...

I use the same-type of recipe when I make eclair cake- it is soooo yummuy! Awesome tutorial- from the Alexa Hop!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Mel Creates Often said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I'm stopping by from the Alexa hop. I'm also your newest follower on GFC, FB, and Twitter. Have a good day!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Amy said...

That looks really tasty. I think even my picky Little Bit might even eat it. Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Yours Faithfully said...

Yum! I like the look and the sound of that. Just stopping by from the Alexa Blog Hop. Have a great weekend.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks super cool and Super Yummy. Thanks for stopping by my "house" at Makobi Scribe.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm following you via GFC. Thanks so much for voting for me in the Athleta contest!!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that looks so yummy! If I weren't doing Insanity I would totally be making that! LOL!!

I'm out Alexa hopping! :)

 
At May 1, 2011 at 12:53 AM , Blogger Emily - faliLV said...

Love this!! I am definitely going to try it this week for sure!! Thanks!
Emily
http://www.familylifeinlv.com

 
At May 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

Wow! We love to cook and bake. We will have to try this soon. :) Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.

I'm your newest follower from the alexa blog hop. :)

Sadie from randomosityblog.com

 
At May 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger lovinangels said...

I'm making this right now.

 
At May 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Yum! Looks delicious and fun!

Stopping by from the Alexa hop...would love if you could visit:
http://www.keenlykristin.com/2011/04/american-idol-nearing-finale.html

Thanks!
Kristin :)

 
At May 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Mueller said...

What a great mom you are! I love your blog!

Here's to making it this far in the A-Z challenge! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

 
At May 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Mary @SweepingMe said...

WOW, this sounds awesome! Saying Hello from the Alexa Hop. If you get a chance come join the Monday Madness Blog Hop ~ http://sweepingme.blogspot.com/2011/05/monday-madness-blog-hopweek-9.html

Mary/Sweeping Me

 
At May 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Blogger TJ @ MeasuringFlower.com said...

Ooh. That's looks good...hey, love the blog design! Visiting back from Measuring Flower and new follower. Thanks! Have a great day!

 
At May 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are SO good!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe on Homemaker By Choice :)

Blessings,
Amber

 
At May 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger GranGoddessa said...

you're awesome!

Love,
Me

 
At May 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have never seen pancakes made that way. I would love to try making them.Looks so simple :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Fun with Food Friday - Dutch Pancake

This Page

has been moved to new address

Fun with Food Friday - Dutch Pancake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service