Friday, May 20, 2011

Salerno Pasta - Fun with Food Friday




 Mama Chocolate

Welcome to Week 10 of Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom for another recipe review this week!

Please check my archives for more delicious recipes!

I got a little more adventurous this week and bravely cooked up Salerno-Style Pasta with Fried Egg and Bread Crumbs (a.k.a. "Salerno Pasta,") from reader (and sister-in-law!) Katelyn!

Katelyn is an inspiration to me...she's always cooking up new and exciting things...while I trudge along with my same ol' same ol'.
I think my brother Daniel got himself a good 'un. Thanks for taking good care of him, Katelyn. ;-)



Salerno Pasta
serves 4
  • 2 slices white sandwich bread
  • extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 4 tsp minced garlic (see my tip for having this minced ahead of time in your freezer!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 to 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 4 eggs 
1.)    Pulse the bread in a food processor with a tablespoon of olive oil and some salt and pepper, then bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside.


I didn't have a speck of bread in my house, so I just used the whole wheat bread crumbs that I had made up in my freezer already.

2.)    Cook the pasta, set aside to keep warm.


3.)    Meanwhile in a non-stick fry pan, cook the garlic, red pepper and salt in 3 T olive oil over low heat until it foams and the garlic is straw-colored, about 5 minutes. Dump over cooked pasta. 


4.) Wipe out pan with paper towel, (or with the Skoy cloth you're going to win,) then add some more oil and cook the eggs with the lid on, being careful to not overcook. The yolk should be runny. (about 2 min)

You only cook them on one side, but keeping a lid on the pan helps the eggs to set

5.)    Meanwhile, toss the pasta with the garlic mixture, basil, parmesan, and a few more tablespoons of olive oil. Separate into bowls, and set the eggs on top. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, and serve with extra parmesan cheese. 



My thoughts:

   I was at first a little weirded out by the idea of eggs and pasta together...but I got over it and was then concerned about the runny yolk factor...I have long been one of those people who gags at the slightest ooze of my fried eggs. 

    Kill 'em, I say.

  I was pleasantly surprised to find the runny-ness of the eggs in this dish did not bother me. The pasta seems to soak it up properly and the egg gives a nice flavor, not to mention a (cheaper!) alternative to meat for your protein at dinner!

  My presentation of this dish looks a little lacking...the dark (whole wheat) bread crumbs make it look a little different, but they were delish! 

  I went perhaps a little overboard on the red pepper flakes...Katie repeatedly declared it "TOO 'picey!" (as she chowed it down.) 

Apparently she's inherited my love of noodles and was willing to brave the 'picey to order to delight in her pasta.

Give it a try...you might be surprised how delicious and simple this is! We loved it!

**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.


Don't forget to check The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom to see what Michelle cooked up this week!


If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!
Spread the word about our event and grab the button!

Mama Chocolate



Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger DForster said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Salerno Pasta - Fun with Food Friday

This Page

has been moved to new address

Salerno Pasta - Fun with Food Friday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service