Friday, July 1, 2011

Breakfast Smoothies - Fun with Food Friday

 Mama Chocolate

Welcome to this week's Fun with Food Friday
(ALERT: Read to the bottom for extra bonus entries opportunity!)

Check to see what Michelle at The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Second Time Mom has cooked up this week!

Please check my archives for more delicious recipes!

This breakfast smoothie recipe comes from reader Shannon!


BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE

Ingredients:


  • orange juice (Shannon says she uses Tropicana. I only had Minute Maid concentrate, so that's what I used)
  • frozen bananas
  • spinach
  • BarleyMax (a supplement from Hallelujah Acres)


Directions from Shannon:
Basically you just blend it all together!  The amounts depend on  how many you are feeding.  We usually use around 3 frozen bananas and half a bag of spinach.  You don't need the BarleyMax, it just makes it extra nutritious.


I didn't have any BarleyMax, but I looked it up online and it looks like something I may want to get!

All the smoothies I have ever made include dairy products, so we've been avoiding them lately with the post-vacation cold we all have, so this recipe was extremely welcome this week!

Katie loved this smoothie and drank more of it than any other smoothie I've made her, so it definitely has kid-approval!

Despite its green color, which may be disturbing to some, (my sister wasn't too sure!) you can not taste the spinach at all and it didn't add any strange texture!

What a great way to get more vegetables into your kids!


I love making, (and eating!) smoothies for breakfast, and here are some more ideas to mix and match to spice it up!

  • yogurt (I prefer using Greek yogurt for its higher protein)
  • milk
  • fruit and/or vegetable juices
  • eggs (preferably farm-fresh and/or organic since you'll be eating them raw)
  • frozen/fresh fruit of all kinds (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, peaches, bananas, cherries, pineapple, avocado, and more!)
  • veggies of all kinds (raw spinach, steamed broccoli, and dozens more! Google "green smoothie" for more ideas!)
  • ground flax seed
  • coconut oil (see my review of Tropical Traditions' coconut oil)

Please comment if you have ideas and recipes for smoothies that you love!


**********************
We'll be doing this again next Friday, and we need your recipes!

To encourage ya'll to produce your tasty gems, I'm offering 10 extra entries into any ONE giveaway of your choice for each recipe you submit, (you can send me as many as you like!)


Just send the recipe(s) to mamachocolateblog@gmail.com and add the 10 entries into the appropriate box on the giveaway entry form.

If you have a blog post about a favorite recipe, I'd love it if you'd comment with a link to it!


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At July 1, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few tomato recipes using my garden fresh tomatoes! I'm going to try that smoothie. I can't believe you don't taste the spinach!

~Penny
http://thepennywisechick.com/2011/06/23/what-to-do-with-all-those-tomatoes-recipes/

 
At July 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks delicious, and so easy & simple. And healthy! Will have to try for me and my baby boy. :)

My fave smoothie is an avocolada. High in fats and a lot of ingredients to mess with though.

 
At July 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Momma Chilson said...

My hubby and I use the BarleyMax! Love it!! He likes it in fresh carrot juice, I prefer mine in apple juice. Only 2 or 3 of our 14children like it! Maybe I should quit "mooing" after I drink it! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mama Chocolate: Breakfast Smoothies - Fun with Food Friday

This Page

has been moved to new address

Breakfast Smoothies - Fun with Food Friday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service